Light Vs Heavy Abbreviation System
The Bluebook has both light and heavy methods for abbreviating words in case names. The light version only abbreviates eight words, while the heavy abbreviation system abbreviates more. The first word of the case name is always spelled out in both systems, and the entire case name is spelled out in a textual sentence. In other words, abbreviate only in citation sentences.
Real Estate Broker Abbreviations
This list of real estate investing abbreviations is useful for real estate brokers. These abbreviations are typically written in all capital letters.
- ARV after-repaired value
- CCIM Certified Commercial Investment Member
- COO or C of O certificate of occupancy
- CMA comparative market analysis
- COCR or CCR cash on cash return
- COF cost of funds
- DTI debt to income ratio
- FMR fair market rent
- IRR internal rate of return
- JV joint venture
- P& S purchase and sale
- PCF price to cash flow
- PITI principal, interest, taxes and insurance
- PUD planned unit development
- Q Pos – available for quick possession
- REI real estate investing
Outside Examples Of Insurance
- Five Cowboys free agents most likely to stay: This has proven offensive lineman is a valuable insurance policy. The Dallas Morning News
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency on Monday said it would make changes to the flood insurance program following the revelations that the private companies that handle claims have been shortchanging Hurricane Sandy homeowners. The Star-Ledger
Also Check: Recast Mortgage Chase
Banking Acronyms And Financial Abbreviations
There are some abbreviations and acronyms that refer to financial matters in general. Others are used more by businesses and accountants. General financial abbreviations and acronyms include:
ACH – Automated Clearing House
FDIC – Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
FED – Federal Reserve Bank
HELOC – Home Equity Line of Credit
HPML – High Priced Mortgage Loan
IRA – Individual Retirement Account
NSF – Non-Sufficient Funds
What Does Financial Mean
Definition of Financial: Financial is defined as of or relating to finance.
- Has your financial picture improved since you took the job?
- The dealership needed to obtain my financial information to complete the sale of my new Saab.
The word financial functions as an adjective in the sentence.
Also Check: Reverse Mortgage For Condominiums
Outside Examples Of Financial
- And despite an improving economy, our median incomes have never fully recovered from the devastating recession after the 2008 financial crisis. The Dallas Morning News
- Starting as far back as 2011, Christies Intergovernmental Affairs office, or IGA, began compiling the list, which made note of sporting events, luncheons and state financial support to mayors and other elected officials, ex-Christie aide Matt Mowers testified in the federal trial in Newark. New York Post
In Titles Or Headings
Only the common abbreviations that do not need to be defined may be used in review titles and headings without the full name needing to be written first. When a term used in a title may be more commonly known under its abbreviated form, its abbreviation may be added in parentheses after the fully written term recommendations for hygiene’). Abbreviations are acceptable in headings if they have been defined previously, though it may be preferable to rearrange the wording of headings to avoid starting with abbreviations.
Also Check: Mortgage Recast Calculator Chase
They Might Look Like Alphabet Soup But Theyre Important
Checking your credit report regularly is important so that you know it includes the right informationand nothing else. As you’re reading through your credit report, though, you may notice an alphabet soup of abbreviations that can make it feel like you’re reading another language or a secret code.
These abbreviations are typically shortened creditor names, industry acronyms, account types, and statuses. Becoming familiar with some of the most common credit report abbreviations can help you determine whether you need to take action to correct errors.
Personal Finance And Tax Abbreviations
If youre confused by your tax statement or pay stub, these tricky personal finance abbreviations may appear there:
AGI – Adjusted Gross Income
BTA – Board of Tax Appeals
CIT – Corporate Income Tax
EITC – Earned Income Tax Credit
FICA – Federal Insurance Contributions Act
HSA – Health Savings Account
MAGI – Modified Adjusted Gross Income
NWT – Net Wealth Tax
What Does Insurance Mean
Definition of Insurance: Insurance is defined as a practice or arrangement by which a company or government agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a premium a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality.
- Human Resources offered us the opportunity to join Aflac for insurance against unemployment or sickness.
- She inherited the farm and the insurance money.
The word insurance functions as a noun in the sentence.
Bluebook Abbreviations For Courts
Legal abbreviations for court documents have to start with the courts themselves. Case names often include the name of the court that made the judgment. Abbreviating the court names is helpful for understanding and keeping legal writing concise. These abbreviations include:
- App. – Appeals
- D. – District
You May Like: How Does The 10 Year Treasury Affect Mortgage Rates
When To Use This Abbreviation
This abbreviation is usually found in the realty, banking, and mortgage industries.
You might abbreviate the word mortgage to mtg. on a communications between these industries. It is also common to see such abbreviations in headlines or newspaper titles where space is a concern.
Outside of headlines and newspaper columns, the word is not abbreviated in general prose.
A Glossary Of Common Mortgage Terms
Adjustable rate mortgage. Also called an ARM, this kind of mortgage has an interest rate that changes over time. The change is usually based on a market index.
Amortization. Amortization is the reduction in the amount owed on a mortgage as the payments are made.
Annual percentage rate. Also called the APR, this measures the annual cost of a loan to the borrower and is the best way to compare costs between lenders. It includes mortgage insurance, discount points, loan origination fees and other costs.
Appraisal. An estimate of a propertys value by a professional appraiser, often required by a mortgage lender before making a loan.
Assessed value. The value of a piece of real estate as set by taxing authorities.
Assumable loan. A loan that can be taken over or transferred to a buyer.
Balloon payment. A final, larger than usual payment at the end of a balloon mortgage.
Cash to close. The amount, including down payment and closing costs, a buyer will have to pay at closing.
Cash-out refinance. Also known as a cash-out refi, a mortgage that replaces an existing loan, is larger than the balance on the existing loan and pays out the difference in cash to the borrower.
Closing. The final process, often a meeting in a title company office, during which all documents are signed and fees are paid to consummate the sale of a home.
Closing costs. Fees that the buyer and seller pay during a closing, including origination fees, title search and title insurance premiums.
Don’t Miss: Requirements For Mortgage Approval
What Is A Credit Report And How Do I Access Mine
Institutions that have issued you credit cards and loans send regular updates about your accounts to , also known as credit reporting agencies. Credit bureaus collect all the data and combine it into a single file, known as your credit report. When you apply for new credit, the financial institution pulls your to determine whether you meet the qualifications.
To quickly figure out the likelihood that you’ll repay a loan on time, creditors may instead use your , a three-digit numerical summary of your credit report information at a given point in time.
It’s important to check your credit report periodically to make sure the information it contains is accurate, complete, and within the allowed reporting time limit. You can access your credit report online from any of the credit bureaus, but there may be a fee. You’re also entitled to a free credit report each year from the major credit bureaus.
Through April 20, 2022, the three major credit bureaus are offering weekly free credit reports through AnnualCreditReport.com.
As you read through your credit report, reference this guide to better understand some of the abbreviations you see. Different credit bureaus and credit report providers may use slightly different codes, and some codes may only appear on the reports issued to lenders. Well clarify as much as possible.
Accounting And Business Finance Abbreviations
Businesses often refer to a different set of abbreviations that are specific to day-to-day operations and company holdings. These accounting departments frequently use:
AFS – Annual Financial Statement
FIFO – First In, First Out
LIFO – Last In, First Out
LLC – Limited Liability Company
P& L – Profit and Loss
P/E – Price-to-Earnings ratio
ROCE – Return On Capital Employed
RONA – Return on Net Assets
ROS – Return on Sales
YTD – Year-to-date
Read Also: Chase Recast Mortgage
How Do You Abbreviate The Word Additional
This word can be abbreviated in three common ways. The most popularly used abbreviation for additional is addl., but other abbreviations include addtl. and add.
To use the correct additional abbreviation, you have to consider the context.
Here are some content topics, along with standard abbreviation commonly used for that topic:
As mentioned above, the addl. abbreviation is the most commonly used because its appropriate for any miscellaneous topics in writing.
The Bank Of England Base Rate
In the UK, the charge placed on banks for lending and savings is set by the Bank of England. Based on multiple factors in the economy, jobs and housing market, the Bank of England will decide whether or not to raise or lower the ‘base rate’.
When the base rate goes up, mortgage lenders’ Standard Variable Rate will also rise. When the base rate goes down, mortgage lenders’ Standard Variable Rate will go down too.
Also Check: 10 Year Treasury Vs 30 Year Mortgage
What Is The Abbreviation For Mortgage
How do you abbreviate mortgage? There are two common ways to abbreviate mortgage.
- 30 yr. mtg.
- mtge. is at a fixed rate
Of these two abbreviations, mtg. is probably more common. The plural abbreviation of mortgage is mtgs. or mtges.
Examples Of Mortgage In A Sentence
mortgagemortgagemortgagedmortgagedmortgage The Salt Lake Tribunemortgage Anchorage Daily Newsmortgage Quartzmortgage NBC Newsmortgage Forbesmortgage baltimoresun.commortgage Los Angeles Timesmortgage National Reviewmortgage Forbesmortgage WSJmortgage chicagotribune.commortgage Fortunemortgage Forbesmortgage Forbesmortgage orlandosentinel.commortgage Forbes
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word ‘mortgage.’ Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Recommended Reading: Rocket Mortgage Requirements
Ecoa: Equal Credit Opportunity Act
ECOA stands for Equal Credit Opportunity Act. The law requires that businesses report accounts shared by spouses to the credit bureaus when spouses’ names are on the contract or when the business has received a written request from one of the spouses.
ECOA will appear as a column header and will be followed by codes indicating who is responsible for repaying each account.
For shared accounts, the abbreviation or numeral in the WHOSE column shows who an account belongs to.
Outside Examples Of Credit
- The GOP bill would go further, prohibiting the use of new federal tax credits to purchase any plan that covers abortions. Los Angeles Times
- What could be a boon for some homebuyers their credit scores will get a surprise boost might prove worrisome for mortgage lenders, landlords and others who depend on credit reports to evaluate their potential customers. Chicago Tribune
Also Check: Reverse Mortgage Mobile Home
Investment And Stocks Abbreviations
Whether youre investing in your retirement account or trading in the stock market, its important to know what youre talking about. Common financial abbreviations in investment or trading contexts include:
ADTV – Average Daily Trading Volume
AMEX – American Stock Exchange
CAGR – Compound annual growth rate
CB – Current Bid
DJIA – Dow Jones Industrial Average
IPO – Initial Public Offering
NASDAQ – National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation
NYSE – New York Stock Exchange
PFD – Preferred stock
REIT – Real Estate Investment Trust
ROE – Return on Equity
ROIC – Return on Invested Capital
QTE – Quote
YTM – Yield To Maturity
Real Estate By The Letters
Whether you are looking at abbreviations or acronyms for real estate terms, be sure you clearly understand what they mean when referring to a specific piece of real estate. When dealing with real estate, you might also need to know things like the abbreviations for all 50 states or even common measurement abbreviations.
- Financial Abbreviations: General, Banking and StocksThe world of finance is confusing enough without all the need-to-know acronyms and abbreviations. But once you know the language of finance, youll find its much easier to navigate your own economic situation. The following list of financial abbreviations includes abbreviations for business, banks, finance, and the stock market.
- Insurance Abbreviations and Acronyms Made EasyNavigating the insurance industry can be complicated enough without having to learn new acronyms and abbreviations. Whether youre scanning your last medical bill or filing an automobile insurance claim, its good to know what all those terms mean. Keep reading to find a thorough list of abbreviations for the health and auto insurance industries.
Don’t Miss: Reverse Mortgage On Condo
Common Real Estate Abbreviations
There are many abbreviations used in real estate, but the following list includes the more common ones youve probably heard before. In the abbreviations, you may see differences in which letters get capitalized and which dont depending on the realtor/publication.
- 3B/2B – three bedrooms and two bathrooms
- 2C – two-car garage
- D/D – dishwasher and a garbage disposal
- Dk – deck
- Dr/Fdr – dining room/formal dining room
- Fag – forced air gas
- F/Fin Bsmt – fully finished basement
- FMV – fair market value
- FSBO – for sale by owner
- Gar – garage
- MLS – Multiple Listing Service database of real estate for sale
- Ofc – office
- Pwdr Rm – powder room or half bath
- RTO – rent to own
- W/D – washer and dryer
What Is The Abbreviation For Foreclosure
Looking for the shorthand of Foreclosure? This page is about the various possible meanings of the acronym, abbreviation, shorthand or slang term: Foreclosure.
What does Foreclosure mean?
- the legal proceedings initiated by a creditor to repossess the collateral for loan that is in default
Couldn’t find the full form or full meaning of Foreclosure?
Maybe you were looking for one of these abbreviations:
Discuss these Foreclosure abbreviations with the community:
We’re doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we’ll take care of it shortly.
Recommended Reading: Rocket Mortgage Conventional Loan
Amortization Confuses 69% Of Respondents
Only 31% of Americans could confidently say they understood the term amortization. A close second, only 34% of Americans knew what an earnest money deposit meant for their wallet.
Five out of six home buying terms confused over half of Americans, with women knowing slightly more than their male counterparts despite the womens housing gap. Heres how different demographics felt about the most confusing term of the survey:
- Women and men were nearly equal in knowing the term amortization however, 4% more women knew the term compared to their male counterparts.
- Baby boomers ages 55 64 were the most familiar with the term amortization compared to other age groups.
- Gen Z was the least familiar with the term, with only 7% of people ages 18 24 reporting that they knew what it meant.
Only 9% Of Gen Z Respondents Know What A Down Payment Is
People in the majority of the age groups understood what a down payment was, followed by knowledge of the terms closing costs and annual percentage rate .
- Only 9% of Gen Z ages 18 24 knew what a down payment
- 34% of millennials ages 25 44 were familiar with the term down payment.
- 18% of Gen X ages 45 54 knew what a down payment
- 39% of Baby boomers ages 55+ knew the term down payment.
You May Like: Chase Mortgage Recast
Outside Examples Of Mortgage
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc has agreed to pay $5.06 billion to settle claims that it misled mortgage bond investors during the financial crisis, the U.S. Department of Justice said on Monday. Newsweek
- Focus said the German government also wont help the Deutsche Bank by intervening with the U.S. officials who want it to pay $14 billion to end an investigation into its sale of mortgage-backed securities. Minneapolis Star Tribune
Real Estate Contract And Financing Abbreviations
If you need help understanding your mortgage or contract, these are some of the more common real estate, legal, and financial abbreviations youll see. All abbreviations on this list are typically written in all capital letters.
- AMORT amortization
- CCR conditions, covenants, and restrictions
- CFD contract for deed
- CLTV combined loan to value
- CAP capitalization
- DOS due on sale clause
- DOT deed of trust
- FCRA Fair Credit Reporting Act
- I/O interest only
- LPOA limited power of attorney
- MOS – memorandum of sale
- PCOA – post closing occupancy agreement
- PMI private mortgage insurance
- Sub2 subject to existing financing
- TIL Truth In Lending
Also Check: Bofa Home Loan Navigator